Type 3 chars to begin the search... results will be shown below:
Rugs are age-old classic pieces that have been decorating homes and castles for centuries, but what is the most popular rug for a living room?
Rugs are a fantastic way to bring elegance and sophistication to your home without compromising the functionality of the area. With the right rug, you can elevate your aesthetic while maintaining a serene and appealing environment.
Rugs for living rooms are typically made of jute, synthetics, and wool. Attempting to narrow down which rug will suit you the best is not a challenging task with our expertise.
With the plethora of patterns, designs, colours, materials and sizes to choose from, it's natural to feel overwhelmed. However, we’re here to relieve the pressure. In this blog, we’ll take a look at the various luxury rugs available and what type is the most suitable for you.
Factors to consider when choosing a rug for a living room
Oftentimes, a living room may feel as though there is something missing. If this resonates with you, let’s delve into the reasons why a luxury rug can tie the look of your living room together. If you are to upgrade your current rug or purchase one for the first time, we’ve got the perfect guide to help you choose:
- Rug placement: Area rugs in a living area can serve both practical and ornamental purposes. They come in a range of hues, sizes, patterns, and materials, and their positioning is essential for establishing a warm, welcoming ambience.
- Size: The most crucial criteria for choosing a living room rug are size standards. The better, the larger the size. Analyse the space before making a purchase and use masking tape to try out various sizes on the floor.
- Look at the materials used: Rugs can be composed of many different materials, including nylon and acrylic that have been solution-dyed, plant-based fibres like cotton, linen, sisal, giant nettle, and plush natural fibres like wool and mohair. Rugs should be long-lasting and simple to clean, however, synthetic fibres wear out quicker.
- Consider your rug's intended use: While choosing a rug for your living room, take into account its function, practicality, and expected traffic. The rug needs regular upkeep to stay in good shape.
- Children's and pet-friendly rugs: Wool is the greatest option due to its stain-resistance and latex coating, which makes it sturdy enough to survive playful children or pets. The best carpets for children and pets are long-lasting and simple to clean.
- Arrangement and colour: It might be challenging to select the ideal living room rug, think about your colour plan and search for a rug that compliments two or three of the room's primary hues. The best area rugs for living rooms anchor the entire space, and the rug's colour and pattern can set the mood. We recommend the hand-tufted Evans 300 X 400 Cm Rug by Eichholtz, its stunning patterns and colour combination will add warmth to your living room. Choosing a patterned rug might be difficult, but if your living room is simple, an eye-catching patterned rug gives the room a main point. Opt for a rug with texture or pattern in a neutral colour if you don't think you can commit to a bold pattern.
We understand that selecting the perfect living room rug can be difficult, but we hope these suggestions have helped you get one step closer to finding your perfect rug.
Talk to a one of our designers now or book an appointment.
Book A Video Chat
Book a zoom consultation and we’ll advise you on furniture, space planning, wardrobes and more.
Book A Video Chat
Book A Showroom Visit
Let our experts guide you through our 30,000 sq. ft. showroom with over 700 luxury brands under 1 roof.
Book A Consultation
Email, call or book a virtual video chat with our sales team. Ask questions with no obligations.
How to pick the appropriate rug size for a living room
While selecting a rug for your living room, take into account everything in the space, including the ceiling. A minimum of two pieces of furniture should be able to lay on the rug and it should be large enough to cover the front of the couch.
It is better to select a larger-sized rug; sizes between 2m x 3m metres and 2.5m x 3.5m are suggested. Make sure the rug is at least 15 to 20 centimetres wider than the sofa on each side.
If there is room, stretch the rug out to the length of the largest sofa piece, leaving 75-90 centimetres between pieces of furniture. Leave at least 45 to 60 centimetres between objects in compact living spaces.
How to style a rug in a living room
While selecting the perfect rug for your living room may seem like a challenging chore. There are, of course, ways to go about it so that you don't have to worry. Here are some crucial recommendations to take into account:
- The first step is to measure your space and choose an aesthetic.
- The rug must be durable, possibly patterned, and protected by a sofa or coffee table.
- Choose the type that will best suit your demands, your family's needs, and your space.
- The placement of the sofas, the room's layout, as well as the rug's form and size, should all be taken into consideration.
The wonderful thing about rugs is that they are an item you can be daring and playful with. Yet, preparation is key, particularly given how living rooms are typically a well-used area in most households.
Use painter's tape to take a preliminary measurement of your sofa so you can see the precise proportions you will be working with. Experiment around with rug placement to determine the best angle for your area rug.
Maintenance and cleaning of living room rugs
Maintaining your area rug is essential to preserving its integrity. There are a handful of ways to keep your luxury rug in pristine condition:
Vacuum Your Area Rug Regularly
Regular vacuuming is an efficient way to keep an area rug clean, but it is important to lower the setting and remove the beater bar to prevent sprouting.
Clean Up Spills Right Away
Owning an area rug presents significant staining challenges, therefore spills should be cleaned up immediately. We also advise against rubbing a stain; instead, use a paper towel or a white cotton towel. Another option is fabric-specific stain removers.
Take Precautions While Using Certain Cleaning Products
While maintaining an area rug, cleaning chemicals can be useful, but they should be used carefully. To remove any stains, we advise using warm water and the appropriate cleaning solution. Rug Doctors can remove stains, but they may also leave an unpleasant smell, so it is best to get an area rug professionally cleaned instead.
Pay Attention to Shedding
You can observe shedding if your area rug is made of wool or fur. Regrettably, all fur or wool area rugs will ultimately shed, regardless of quality. To that end, vigorously vacuuming your rug can hasten the process.
The Contrary Way to Fold
Area rugs can wrinkle as a result of furniture or doors, but this problem can be solved by simply folding the rug in the opposite direction.
Consider having the rug professionally cleaned every one to two years, depending on the design and condition.
Where to buy the most popular rugs for a living room
Area rugs offer a variety of uses, including hiding unsightly scuffs and stains, protecting hardwood floors, and adding some flair and warmth to a room that would otherwise be uninteresting.
Online rug shopping might be challenging. Not only do you need to figure out the exact size for your room, but you also have to judge material feel and colour through a screen. We've concentrated on our top area rugs because personal preference plays a significant role in the one you finally choose.
At FCI London, all of our rugs are constructed with high-quality fabrics, such as Longhi's Wool & Silk Carpets, which keep up pretty well over time.
There are a lot of considerations to make when buying a rug. Following these guidelines may seem laborious, but they'll ensure that every rug you buy seamlessly integrates with the space you chose it for.
At FCI London, our team of professionals is always ready to assist you in selecting the perfect rug for your room. Come visit our showroom to see our extensive range of rugs and get a better feel for their style and quality. Alternatively, chat with our expert team on WhatsApp so they can provide specialised recommendations.
If you’re in need of inspiration, our completed projects show off our capacity to locate and place carpets in both domestic and professional settings.
We can assist you in finding the ideal fit, whether you're searching for a gorgeous piece for your living room or a tough rug for your office. To find out more about our rug selection and how we can enhance your existing aesthetic, get in touch with us.