Type 3 chars to begin the search... results will be shown below:
With constantly changing climate conditions throughout the year, it’s important to take special care of your patio ensemble. And, as suppliers of some of the most beautiful alfresco collections in the world, we are regularly asked: Can I leave my outdoor furniture in the rain? Join us as we explore why the answer isn’t just a simple “yes” or “no”.
There’s no doubt that exterior design improves the functionality and sophistication of garden living, allowing us to relax, breathe deeply and connect. But amid the enjoyment of creating these sanctuaries, there’s the constant worry that all our efforts will be ruined by the weather.
With rain being one of the most unpredictable forces of nature, it can certainly negatively impact our outdoor furniture if proper contingency plans are not made.
To ensure longevity, it’s important to understand the qualities of the patio sets you have purchased. Why? Because from plastics and wood to metal and glass, not every material is created equal and each requires its own special maintenance plan.
Let’s take a dive into all your options.
Talk to a designer now or book an appointment.
Book A Video Chat
Book a zoom consultation and we’ll advise you on furniture, space planning, wardrobes and more.
Book A Video Chat
Book A Showroom Visit
Let our experts guide you through our 30,000 sq. ft. showroom with over 700 luxury brands under 1 roof.
Book A Consultation
Email, call or book a virtual video chat with our sales team. Ask questions with no obligations.
3 Top rain-resistant outdoor furniture materials
Whether or not you can leave your outdoor furniture in the rain depends entirely on what it is made from, so selecting the right materials is critical. A sound choice will ensure its lifespan, durability and overall aesthetic appeal, giving you more bang for your buck in the long run.
The deciding factors should revolve around weather-proof capabilities, maintenance requirements and stylistic preferences. Here are 3 of your best options and why.
Due to its unquestionable longevity and natural resistance to heat, rain, insects, warping, cracking and rotting, teak is a highly valued material for patio furniture. With its tight grain structure and natural oil content, it is known to retain its colour over time and requires little maintenance.
High-end outdoor furniture manufacturers use it extensively in their collections and some, like Gloster, even grow their own sustainable teak plantations. Take a look at their Deck dining table as a prime example of the perfect ensemble for stylish alfresco entertaining.
Lightweight and strong, aluminium furniture is easy to move around, corrosion-proof and has a great track record when it comes to hard-wearing durability. Maintenance is a walk in the park and it does not rust or fade. It is also both recycled and recyclable, making it a great option if green living is a priority for you.
Atmosphera use aluminium broadly in their range of sleek, modern furnishings, giving their frameworks a strength and robustness that is ideal for the outdoors. Take a look at their attractive Qubik collection for inspiration, which includes a gorgeous selection of tables, armchairs and sofas.
Made from high-density polyethene, this popular material is as charming as its natural counterpart but has the added bonus of being resistant to fading, cracking and moisture. It can also withstand UV rays and is easy to clean. Light and flexible, synthetic wicker offers everything you need in comfort and functionality and is also easy to store.
Specialising in outstanding hand-crafted wickerwork, Spanish-based company Skyline Design produces their offerings from a factory in Indonesia and distributes them to over 100 countries worldwide. With a range that includes the stunning Brafta Centre outdoor sofa, an elegant Journey daybed and many more resort-quality collections, they are an ideal choice.
Stainless steel, wrought iron, rope and recycled plastic are also fabulous options, giving you plenty of scope when it comes to sound garden furniture investments. Looking for some inspiration for your patio ensemble? Then check out our latest design projects portfolio for ideas on how to create the perfect alfresco space.
Caring for your outdoor furniture
Yes, you can leave your garden furniture outside in the rain, but if you want it to endure for longer, we suggest you follow these care and maintenance tips:
- Read the manufacturer's care guidelines carefully. Their advice will be specific to their product range and materials and will advise you about the use of commercial cleaners and sealants.
- Clean your ensemble regularly to remove grime, dust, and stains. We suggest you do this with mild soap and water.
- Abrasive cleaners like bleach and other harsh chemicals should be avoided as they will damage the colour and finishes of your ensemble.
- Rinse your furniture with a hose to remove any soap residue before drying it with a clean cloth.
- Use customised coverings or store your key pieces indoors or in a garage during the winter months to protect it from extreme weather conditions.
- Inspect all of your outdoor furnishings on a regular basis for signs of damage. Loose screws, corrosion or breaks should be dealt with as soon as possible
- To prevent scratches and damage to your floor or deck surface, place pads or glides beneath the legs of your tables and chairs.
- If you live by the coast or in an area with high humidity, invest in furniture made of rust, corrosion, and mold-resistant materials.
Looking for some inspiration for your outdoor furniture design? Check out our interior design project portfolio for ideas on how to create the perfect outdoor space.
Risks associated with leaving outdoor furniture in the rain
Yes, high-end manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure that their collections are designed to withstand inclement weather conditions through their material and construction choices. However, there are definitely some risks associated with continuously leaving outdoor furniture in the rain. We advise you to take note of the following:
- Constant exposure to wetness will cause mould and mildew to grow on the surfaces of your furniture, eventually leading to its deterioration.
- Rainwater naturally leaks into any gaps and fissures, degrading the joinery and rotting the structural integrity of your tables and chairs over time.
- The constant soaking and drying cycle of wood, including teak, can cause it to expand and contract, resulting in warping or splitting.
- When exposed to rain for extended periods, metal furniture is prone to rust and corrosion.
- Waterlogged fabrics used in outdoor cushions and upholstery can cause stains, discolouration, and mould growth.
- Rain can hasten colour fading and harm the finish or protective coatings on furniture.
- The chance of damage from falling debris, such as tree branches or hailstones, increases when furniture is left in the elements.
- Water collection on furniture surfaces can attract insects and vermin, potentially resulting in infestations.
How can I stop my outdoor furniture from getting wet?
The bottom line is that long-term weather exposure can reduce the lifespan of your outdoor furniture, necessitating frequent replacement or costly repairs. Failure to protect outdoor furniture from rain can damage its aesthetic appeal and resale value.
Please also note that moisture-related damage may be excluded from the manufacturer’s warranties, so check the small print when you first make your purchase. To ensure optimal longevity, we advise that you follow these tips.
- Clean and maintain it regularly.
- Invest in protective moisture and UV-resistant covers. These are usually available from the manufacturer and are custom-made to fit each individual item in your collection.
- Store all of your garden furniture in a lockup container, garage or shed during the winter months.
Shop luxury outdoor furniture at FCI London
If you want to leave your outdoor furniture outside in the rain, you can do so, but ideally for a limited time only. Why? Because as with any luxury furniture investment, you want it to last for years.
Let us help you bring your patio spaces to life with our exquisite range of fully customisable outdoor furniture and accessories.
From opulent sun loungers and outdoor sofas to stylish tables, rugs and lighting, we have everything you need to suit your taste.
To find out more, get in touch today or visit our showroom and let our expert design team recommend the right products for your specific lifestyle. We can’t wait to get the ball rolling!