Coffee is, hands down, one of the most popular drinks in the world and historically was said to have been responsible for the birth of the industrial revolution. A believable fact given that many of us can’t get out of bed in the mornings without it.
While there are plenty of trendy places that serve an excellent brew, there’s something to be said for having your first cup of the day at home, fuss-free and made exactly the way you like it. And that’s where finding the best coffee machine for your needs is important. Gaggenau coffee machines are top of the range appliances that add style to your home – we review them later on in this article.
How coffee machines work
In essence, all coffee machines work similarly: Water is drained through ground coffee beans contained in a filter, and delivered, grit-free, into either a pot or a cup. But there are a multitude of factors that contribute to a variety of results. Water temperature, flow and how long it is in contact with the grind all determine strength and flavour. And, if you’re a true coffee enthusiast, these variants will be important when deciding which coffee machine to purchase.
It is useful to know that “espresso” has nothing to do with the type of beans being used, but rather the way in which the coffee is brewed. An espresso “shot” can either be consumed as is or used to create other coffee-based drinks such as Cappuccinos, Café Lattes, Macchiatos, Americanos and Iced Coffees to name a but few.
Gaggenau coffee machine review
The Gaggenau 400 series built-in, fully automatic coffee machines are designed to fit seamlessly into your cabinetry saving you space on your countertops. Their state-of-the-art functionality offers every facet of modern coffee culture. The rotary knob and touch display ensure easy operation in 25 languages. Each cup of coffee can be custom-crafted through advanced technology that includes three beverage size settings, five coffee strength levels, a full range of temperature and grinding options and a height-adjustable coffee dispenser.
Gaggenau has a personalisation function that saves up to eight of your favourite beverage options, allowing you to command any one of them with the press of a button.
Its hassle-free cleaning program ensures that all rinsing and descaling is sorted and incorporates a removable brewing unit and a container and drip tray for the dregs.
Other high-end features include:
- Grinding unit
- Water pump with 19 bar pressure
- Double grinding and brewing cycles
- Beverage dispenser with integrated milk system
- Bean container for 1kg
- Removable 2,5l water tank
- Electronic fill level control for water, coffee beans, drip tray and residue container
Gaggenau coffee machine cost calculator
Before you run out and purchase your stylish Gaggenau coffee machine, you’ll want to know what it costs and whether it is affordable for you.
Coffee machine buyer’s guide
There are three types of home coffee machines available:
- Espresso or automatic coffee machines are the most complex in terms of technology and process. They use a combination of perfect temperature and force to produce a strong, rich espresso shot. They are ideal for people eager for the full barista experience. If you do choose this option, make sure that you purchase one with a bar pressure of more than 15 for optimal results. The initial outlay for this machine is high, but coffee beans are much cheaper than pods so you will save in the long run.
- Capsule or pod coffee machines are the most popular for first time buyers because they are simple and convenient to use. Premeasured pods or capsules of coffee are placed into a cavity and then pierced using a manual mechanism. Water is then heated in an internal tank and dispensed under pressure to brew the coffee. These machines are reasonably priced, but he pods are an expensive commodity, making your long-term costs much higher.
- Filter or drip coffee machines involve filling a chamber with water which heats up and then drips slowly through a basket of ground coffee encased in a paper filter. The brew then flows into a coffee pot which rests on a heated plate, keeping it warm. It is without a doubt the easiest machine to operate, is very cost effective and has the advantage of being able to serve multiple people simultaneously. However, you are limited to a very simple cup of coffee.
The ultimate coffee machines should include the following features:
- Milk frother
- Digital display for easy navigation
- Pre-set function so that you can “pre-order” your coffee for a specific time
- Descaling program for convenient maintenance
- Cup warmer